Everything you need to know about Danyele's Power Strength Program...
Power Strength is designed for you to level up by increasing your strength and enhancing your performance. Expect to smash your PB’s as you perfect your lifts, up your speed and boost your stamina!
This program starts and ends with a benchmark test so that you can understand how your strength and performance have improved. During your testing days, you will complete a 3 rep max which will then calculate your 1 rep max. This will be used throughout the program to determine your rate of perceived exertion (RPE) to help improve your performance.
The program is available in Intermediate & Advanced.
Intermediate will focus on a 3 rep max with the key movements including shoulder press, sumo deadlift, lat pulldown and barbell squat.
Advanced will focus on a 2 rep max with the key movements including bench press, sumo deadlift, lat pulldown and barbell squat. Advanced also includes more isometric holds, unilateral movements and time under tension movements to really challenge you.
We’d recommend intermediate for those who are experienced and confident in the gym. For example, if you’re on Krissy’s advanced Strong program or Danyele’s intermediate Power Gym Program, we would recommend starting with Intermediate.
Advanced would be suitable for those who have completed Krissy’s expert Strong program or those involved in competitive sports.
You’ll be given a number from the RPE scale for each exercise. The RPE scale (rate of perceived exertion) is a personalised way of measuring the intensity of your lifts by tuning into your body. Your RPE is based on how hard you feel like your body is working, considering physical sensations such as increased heart rate, breathing rate, sweating, and muscle fatigue.
- 1 | Very Light - Hardly any exertion, but more than sleeping/watching TV
- 2-4 | Light - Feels like you can maintain this level of exertion for hours. Easy to breathe and easy to hold a conversation. Good for mobility, recovery and form emphasis.
- 5-6| Moderate - A weight used for deload, speed work and hypertrophy. It’s a weight you can move quickly, withhold a short conversation, leaving you with 4-5 reps left in the tank.
- 7| Moderately Hard - Moderately challenging here, hard to have a conversation. 3 reps left in the tank.
- 8| Hard - Uncomfortable, very short of breath, hard to hold a conversation. 2 reps left in the tank.
- 9| Vigorously Hard - Very uncomfortable, you can only speak a few words. There’s 1 rep left in the tank, but you’ll have to grind and push hard to get it.
- 10| Max - This is your max effort, you’ll need all your energy to get this. Maintained for a very short amount of time. No reps left in the tank once you’ve finished.
It’s important that you take into account how you’re feeling as a whole, instead of focusing on one particular aspect. Remember your body isn’t a machine, it’s a beautiful complex system that is able to push harder on some days than others. So tune into your body and assess how hard you’re working using this RPE scale to help you scale back or push through your lifts.